21.4.09

Day two of running

The morning brought good news about Penny. She had made a full recovery and was ready to rock! Was genuinely pleased for her.


On to business; This day was a shock. The first stage really got to me, I am guessing it was because I drank so much water on the start line and diluted my electrolytes, who knows? I do know it was hard though, I had to stop at about 10 minutes in to adjust kit and told Charlie to get a move on. After that point I spent the day pretty much on my own having the odd chat with other runner. I even got asked by a complete stranger if I knew a girl called Justine. I did! she had told him I was running and to look out for me! small world!


This first stage dragged, tricky terrain and finding a rhythm was hard I slowed to a walk and felt pretty daunted by the whole thing. Stage 1 of only day 2 and I was buggered! CP1 eventually came in to view and I was pleased to get there! I got my water ration and popped a Nuun pill. This really helped but what helped most was hearing people who got to the CP a little after me who were really pleased with their time! Its all a matter of perspective! Feeling rejuvenated I headed off. The next two stages were long and hard but I felt like I was making forward progress so it was bearable.

The day finished with a hard but relatively short stint in some dunes. I was pleased to be finished and was surprised when Charlie said he had only been back about 30mins. I had taken around 6 hours. Everyone felt pretty beat up after day two and it was reassuring that almost everyone had found the days course hard.

On the down side. this was the night I starting making regular and I mean regular trips to the latrine. Tomorrow was the longest stage of the race a massive 81km (the longest in the history of the race). With a funny tummy it was going to be a long day! I am not sure what time we got the news that night but before we went to sleep we got word that to make up for the cancelled day they had boosted the day to 91km. By far the longest stage in the MDS's 24 year history! We were daunted but pleased, we may of been robbed of a day but now we had a new bragging right!

No comments: