30.8.07

Day Three


I remember the ice on the tents when we woke and sitting eating breakfast outside (see pic). There porridge rocked!

Diary time....

'8pm. Today has been an eye opener. very hard, we finished at 5pm after leaving at 08.15. Felt altitude today and felt rougher when ever I stopped, but no headache like the others. That is until we started our descent from Lava Tower. Filled bottle at stream near bottom so I had a supply ready for camp. On arrival I washed feet and hand the put thermal leggings on and long sleeve top and done. That is, I got in bed to let body rest before dinner-Headache until warmed up and sat in guides tent later on.


Tomorrow is easier but just as much ascent I think-lets just hope its more manageable than today. Old anxieties main problem. Richard was slower on way down and I have to say that descent is noticeable harder on the legs.

Dinner was nice soup and then mash with veg and chicken. Followed by tablets-is the Diamox even working? Today made the summit a pretty daunting prospect. seriously had thoughts about quitting which is bloody alien to me. Over dinner we realised that we make the final attempt at summit tomorrow night. Holy Shit.


Really looking forward to seeing Milly, she feels so far away that writing this makes a bit of salt water build in the corners of my eyes. Change the subject Bruce.

Just remembered that the toilets at this site are the worst yet-can smell them from 15 feet away. The shit on the floor prob does not help. Its 8.21 now and Richard is writing his journal next to me and both of us are complaining about our arm aching.

Sun was out for first few hours of today and piled on the cream but dam it got cold as we ascended. Descent hurt legs more.

I am so going to see Milly as soon as I get back. Stop it.

Tonight we are sleeping right under Kili, it looks unreal in the clear night-like a cheap special effect. Have been above at least layer of cloud all day......but really covered some ground. Yesterday Kili was so far away but now we are looking up at it as opposed to over to it. I am feeling better now I think its just anxiety in my belly. Proper frost when we spoke this morning. Today's climb went on and on and I hope that my body has read the script and is acclimatising while I sleep low after walking high. Olaf the the second guide was quicker than Edie (Idrisa) perhaps this was part of the problem?

I now have so much respect for anyone who climbs Everest. Don't ever do it Bruce'.............

I remember sitting in my tent and writing this. For one of the first times in my life I felt like I was in a remote part of the world. Remote enough for it to have an effect on an emergency. I think this is why my Daughter felt so far away. Other symptoms suffered by the group were terrible headaches and one member even had a prolonged spell of double vision. I would not of liked that! Physically I got off very lightly but I would of preferred to have the physical symptoms to deal with.

Even after this day- a prolonged trek, the body is not sore, feet ankles and lower legs are all fine it really was the altitude that made it difficult. Please have a special look at the last picture-its the view from the tent at the end of the day. Looking down on the clouds - YEAH BABY!

No comments: