1.1.07

The very best start to the year

When I awoke from my alcoholic slumber in the arm chair at about 7.30 am this morning I could see the weather was looking nice. Naturally, I made a drink (mouth was a little dry for some reason) and headed straight out on my bike. Not really. I made the drink, necked it and went up to bed for a couple of hours to get some decent sleep.



Upon waking I was delighted to see that the low winter sun was filling the house and this meant I had to get out and make the most of it. I forced some breakfast down me and made some sandwiches and headed off on my bike. Big Bro joined me and we rode to Hatfield Forest, which was, to be honest rather under whelming. The ground was saturated and it was not really riding, more of crawl. So we got back on to out usual track and headed back in the direction of home. By the time we got there we had been out for around 2 and a half hours but I was determined to make the most of the daylight and eat my sandwiches out in the fresh air somewhere. So after a quick tinker with my brakes (they had all but stopped working) I was off. I ate my sandwiches sitting next to a little river in the middle of no where and it was glorious. Utterly glorious.



All in I was out for about 4 hours and it was just beginning to get dark when I returned. Perfect.








Interestingly I have been suffering from a numbness in the end of my left ring finger when out on longer rides. The numbness lasts for hours after I finish and today i decided to find out what it is. Its the result of pressure being applied to the Ulnar nerve-The Internet is a wonderful thing. Just need to figure out how I can prevent it from happening now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey bruce,
i'm impressed..sounds like you are really going all the way in preparing for you big run!! good on you! can't say i've been spending as much time outside as you this christmas, but then again, i've been waking forth and back the endless corridors of a hospital in oslo! might not sound exciting...??? well, it's not!! keep up your good work, and i'll try following your good example.. ;)

-josie-