22.7.08

Guest appearance!

Well, I have some good stuff to add but more importantly I have an entry from a great friend of mine called Adam. I mentioned him a couple of weeks ago and invited him to be my first ever guest blogger! Take it away Adam..............

Ok so it’s been three weeks today since I went to sunny Dunmow to borrow a bike from my good mate Bruce and start my training for SITS. I had not been on a bike ride since I was 14!! The feeling of freedom it gave me just getting out there and riding is something I’ll never forget and I haven’t looked back since.

There were a couple of things that compelled me to give the 24 hour marathon a go and the main reason was fitness (I think). I am / was 3 stone overweight and if I am honest had probably let my 20’s go by without more than 5 months of sustained exercise in the gym when I was 24 and single! I got fit that time and lost weight, met my girl, married her, had two kids and in no time was fat again. I needed a jolt and motivation this time to keep going - so doing something extreme like this was ideal even if I was more than a little apprehensive.

Cycling machines are my worst as well. So boring! We’ve got one that sits in the living room - its part of the family and gets dusted every few days. I didn’t give mountain biking a thought. Just not me. How wrong was I! I can’t imagine not having a bike to ride now.

In three weeks I have gone out on average 4 days a week on various rides and not just discovered a love for the biking but for the first time really discovered where I live! Welwyn Garden City rocks. So many cycle routes and the woods 5 minutes away from me has become the battle ground where so many of my demons are being slayed I tell you. Uphill struggle rewarded with fast treacherous downhill. I found myself whooping with joy at times - how good is that feeling… forget the brakes - Woohoo!!

It’s freedom, pure and simple.

Suffice to say I’ve lost some weight already although I’m not weighing myself I just look a bit better. I am fitter and have worked well up to now. I have three weeks before the actual race and I am quite exited and nervous. I am enjoying the pursuit of fitness like nothing else so the actual race will be something amazing I am sure. Cheers Bruce, inspired me baby.

4 comments:

Charlie Stockord said...

LEEEEEGGGGGEEEENNDDD!!!!!!!!! GOOD TO HAVE YOU ON THE TEAM.... I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SITS AND WITH YOU WITH US I AM SURE THE 1st 2nd and 3rd SPOTS ARE GOING TO BE TAKEN.... I AM JUST NOT SURE HOW BRUCE IS GOING TO TAKE IT RECEIVING THAT 3rd PLACE AWARD.... HA HA HA, CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU BOTH... CS

Bruce said...

Dude, I still feel I am suffering form post traumatic stress from last years event so i would be chuffed to bits with 3rd!

Anonymous said...

It will be great!! Guys I had a really bad ride last night and could barely move so I came back after an hour quite disappointed. I seem to be having one of those a week!! Is this normal??? Anyway just came back from 30K ride so feeling better. DUDE! I just don't want to finish LAST! Adam

Bruce said...

Perfectly normal mate, means you asre probably pushing yourself about far enough.

Remember what I told you about rest. Last year some people only did a lap so I cant see you coming last!