25.11.06

Cant wait!

Its 10.30pm on Saturday and whilst most eligible young batchelors are out trying to meet chicas I am sitting in so that I can get up early and do a 35 mile run. This rock & roll life is pretty wild at times.

In all seriousness, I am looking forward to my alarm going off at 4.30 tomorrow morning. I will be doing something I have never done before. I have spent the evening packing my rucksack at a relaxed pace and popping to the Supermarket to stock up on cereal bars.
The first 2 hours will be dark and I have clipped my rear bike light to my rucksack to increase visibility/safety. My new torch has not arrived yet so the front bike light is also doubling up for running duty as well. iPod is charged and I will finally get to have a proper listen to Royseven's album. Helen, who is just a little bit more rock & roll than me is there manager and was kind enough to send me an album to listen to. Sorry to be so slow Hel's!

Camera, is on charge, gloves/hat are in my windproof's pockets, warm clothes in rucsack, drinks are made and in the fridge.....think I am done.....Phone will go in Peli case, so even I get run over that will live....what else......New pair of Gel Kinsei's (shoes) are being rolled out tomorrow as well so hopefully my big toes wont ache as much come Monday.

Until now I assumed that my current (old) Karrimor sc35 rucsack would be used for Tring2Town but now I am not so sure. The longer you are out running the more little things you need quick access to. Vaseline/shave oil (for chaffing), drinks, food, iPod, torches, phone, gloves......

The bags designed specifically for Ultra's seem to have a plethora of little pockets and other nooks to stow all these little things meaning you don't have to go into the main the compartment. I generally think its quite nice to get the pack off your shoulders every so often so that you can let the muscles in your shoulders/neck have a bit of movement and rest. Now, I am not so sure. I am starting to see the benefits of having more little pockets to store things in....will keep you posted if a new bit of kit is purchased. You are going to love the torch I am getting!

I have gone off track tonight talking about kit and prep etc. The reason I sat down was because I wanted to record the fact that I am excited about tomorrow. This made me understand my reason for doing this a little better. I realized that to me doing something like this is a huge adventure! Running for 6 hours straight is a new boundary, a new journey! I have a need for travel within me but as a Father I could never leave my daughter for months to scratch this itch. I think this kind of running is Methadome to the hard drug of 'proper exploration'.

Sound like a drunken philosopher again. Really sorry.

Ps. I have no idea how you spell 'Methadome'. I may be describing some bizarre stadium from a Madmax movie for all I know.

No comments: