6.2.07

what else is there?

All this thought of 'what next' has got me thinking. I wondered if there is a list of super hard events that is somehow acknowledged as great collection events. I don't think there is so I over time I wish to compile one, to that end please add ideas/events to the comments (no one will, but no harm in asking).

I guess this list will evolve around my personal tastes but i would like it to encompass all great feats. Here we go in no particular order.

1. Marathon des Sables
2. Ascending Everest (with or without oxygen)
3. Rowing the Atlantic
4. Sub 3 hour marathon
5. Ironman
6. Various ultra marathons
7. Tour de France
8. 24 hour cycle race
9. Badwater ultra marathon
10. Sub 8 minute lap of the Nurburgring (not quite in the same vein as the others!)
11. Unsupported trek to the North Pole.
12. Sailing the globe

I know there are a lots others but I do not know the names of them! I recently read about a long hauls through Canada that lasted for weeks......please offer some information if you know more!

I know there is a polar marathon, and a special club of runners who have run marathons on all continents so this list is flawed from the outset but it hopefully has a smattering of some of the challenges available.

Its funny I look at that and there is nothing there that I would not attempt. Doing any of them in a competitive way is unlikely but as a personal, physical challenge I would with the exception of Everest, absolutely have a go. What scares me more is the prohibitive costs. To row the Atlantic you are looking at £60,000. To make a sensible attempt at Everest with an experienced group/guides you are talking at least £25,000. Sailing the globe......I know nothing about sailing but I even if its possible to buy a place on a boat with experienced crew then I bet £10,000 would be needed....probably lots more. Nurburgring, tricky one to tie down. Cost of multiple trips, car, training, laps etc etc but certainly it is not as onerous as the £60,000 for rowing the Atlantic. Even £60k is prob small change for what it probably costs to trek to one of the poles.

As for Everest, it is the only one that I have said previously that I would not attempt. This is simply because 1 in 8 people who attempt the summit perish. Before I was a Dad, I would of gladly had a go but I am not so sure now. However, I listened to a radio programme a while back about a guy who successfully ascended Everest on his artificial limbs, an amazing feat. He spoke of the summit and ascent in such honest and intriguing terms, it was pretty captivating. he said that he remembered the seeing the curvature of the earth and it was remarkable but he also said that there was a very real sense that humans did not belong there. God that got me fired up! What an experience! He spoke of the fact that previous climbers who died acted as landmarks along the route. This surprised me but apparently many corpses litter the mountain as removing them is just too difficult

I am clearly waffling now so will shut up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce

I have let my mind run down that road before and i also have come to the same conclusion money and also the time required rules out nearly all the possible adventures, that and I like life.
The Spartathlon should get separate a mention check it out if you don’t know it. To find the names of some of the events check out http://www.4ar.info/index.php.
Rowing the Atlantic is something I was looking at a few years ago the money is an issue but most people manage to cover the cost with sponsorship eventually. Read the crossing it’s an account form Ben Fogle and James Cracknell about the crossing they did a couple of years ago. It might make you decide not to try it. It has made me think it is harder than I thought it was, the money is the easy bit. Ben Fogle also did the MDS I’m sure he says the Atlantic is harder but i have slept since then so may recall incorrectly it’s a must read if you think you would like to row the Atlantic.
What about LEJOG that sounds up your street, Lands end to John o’Groats. This is on my short list for future challenges as is doing a marathon.
The one thing I would say, don’t do as I do, think about it for years then eventually do it, the years roll by quicker the older you get this then gives another excuse not to do it.

Keep up the training and the waffle

Ian

Bruce said...

Ian,

You have done me proud there. LEJOG sounds very interesting and I will looking that one up.

You make a great point about time. On top of all the expense you also have to consider time spent training and huge amounts of time off work to actually complete the events! We all know that they are more important than 'work' but still circumstances just dont allow sometimes!

All the best and thanks foe the ideas! I will def be taking a look at Spartathlon as well!

Thanks

Bruce