6.12.06

Biathlon without the rifle or ski's...

Good morning all, biggest ride yet last night. Did not plan it like this but we got talking about an all night ride that we are entering in the summer and that inspired us to do something a bit bigger than normal. Still not epic in its proportions but the longest we have done since we started these regular cycle rides. Incredible full moon last night (looks strangely squashed in the picture though!) and despite strong winds it was not cold at all. Suits me!
It was going really well, we stopped at home for a quick drink at the 21 mile mark and then headed off again. The plan was to do roughly another 5 out and then come back which would take our total to 31 miles. This would of meant we had covered the entire distance of the disused railway line between Stansted and Braintree.

Unfortunately this was not to be. After a couple of miles I heard my bike was making a funny noise and when I stopped to inspect I saw that the noise was coming from a twig stuck to me tyre and it was knocking against my forks as the wheel went round. Annoyingly the twig was attached to the tyre by way of a big thorn. I did think about just pulling it out as I have inner tube protectors that are meant to stop punctures. However, after wiggling the thorn we could hear air coming out so we decided to make a dash for home without completing the full distance. Fat lot of good this did us! The extra speed I tried to go at on the road obviously knocked the thorn out and the tyre was flat in about 20 seconds.

That was me running home. Took about 30 minutes to jog back and I did not really mind. One of the reasons its good to be fit is that if this sort of thing happens you know you can get your self out of trouble.

All in all we covered 28 miles in 2 hrs 44 min. Now, we were not going fast for much of this journey and most certainly we could of done this a lot quicker but it is still incredible to think that a good Marathon runner could of run that distance quicker than we rode it. Amazing.

Look at 'you know your getting old' post....finally managed to get the photo's on and I am rather pleased with them!

No comments: