19.3.07

well being

Tricky one to tie down that, work life balance, eating properly, family relationships all the things we are meant to get right all the time. So, I did not train at the weekend which was a bit of a wasted opportunity because I did not have my daughter. What I should of done was gone for an all day ride or run or pottered about with my old track car. In my defence I did tinker with the car all morning but then, with my Bothers we took my Mum out for Lunch.

Upon arriving at the country pub there was an old school friend whom I had not seen for ages. After a very nice lunch I decided not to get a lift back with the others and instead got stuck in to an all day drinking session. Well, after all how often do you get the chance to do this once your a parent? By 10.30 I was so drunk I went home. Then I went out again to go for a sobering walk. Which had the odd effect of not actually sobering me up at all. I was definitely in a bit of a pickle. I am not a regular drinker and if I do get out for a drink it will almost always be a quick 1 or 2 pints and even this means I feel less rested upon waking. Saturday was slightly different.

Here is the thing, I did not have a terrible hang over on Sunday and I did not get run over whilst out for my drunken walk, I did get mugged nor I did not wake up with a complete stranger. So, whilst I felt tired for most of the day I got off fairly lightly. But here's the rub. I felt wrong this morning as well. Dull, hazy and no where near my best. I even had the morning off work to get a some bits done and even when I cycled to work at midday I still felt less than sharp. Riding to work along my familiar railway with familiar obstacles was so much more demanding. This was undoubtedly because of the booze. Conventional wisdom would say that I was fine and should be feeling normal but I was not. I would obviously of passed a breath test but I would most definitely not of wanted to do any serious driving at today. I tried to put this in the context of doing a track day or one of my other fetishes the Nurburgring. Absolute non starter.

I have to admit to liking the odd drink, but I am cringing when I think about just what I did to my body on Saturday.

No comments: