17.6.08

Hard-core

Strength training this evening. Pushed pretty hard but at the same time keeping things at a fairly low level of intensity. By that, I mean not banging through the circuit as fast as possible. I catch my breath between each set and then hammer the next one out concentrating on technique. Intensity will build in the coming weeks.

What I did:

Core strength first - each circuit consisted of 9 different exercises. I did the circuit 3 times. This took about 45 minutes.

Then upper body. 5 Different exercises per circuit and again 3 circuits. About 25 minutes.

Finally legs: Simply 3 sets of squats. Man I felt this! prob 6 minutes.

Its worth saying that doing a dedicated core workout has already paid MASSIVE DIVIDENDS. NO lower back back sitting in the car, NO lower back after a four hour bike ride, NO lower back pain after a hard run and increased movement in lower back. So satisfying when you make things happen ay?

5 day Summary:

Fri: Rest
Sat: Rest
Sun: hard 90 minute run
Mon: Active rest..... Cycled to work and back (about an hour in the saddle in total)
Tue: Cycled to work and back + Strength training.

Oh yeah gave my gorgeous bike a bit of TLC this evening......Man I can't wait for sleepless in the saddle!

Need to get some photo's on here...how about one of my new(ish) wonder bike?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bruce, do you really do all this stuff, in my world taking the dog out for a 10K walk would be justification for a national holiday let alone actually breaking into a run. I'm just not sure the activities described in your blog are physically possible. I can only assume you're making it up and fully expect to see you staring in an eposide of "half ton man" being winched out of the bedroom you have been unable to leave for over 5 years to cheers from the Fire Brigade.

Bruce said...

Man, I miss going for a beer with you Birch!

Hilarious.